Wheel & Belt
The Properzi-Ingot casting line, designed at the beginning of 90’s is based on the unique Continuus-Properzi technology of continuous closed mould with cooled casting wheel and belt.
The wheel diameter ranges from 1.4 to 4.2 meters according to the required production rate and liquid metal supply.
Referring to pure Aluminum, the production rates vary from 4 t/h to 20 t/h. As far as concerns Aluminum alloys it is expected a production rate 15-20% lower depending on the alloy being cast.
Remarkably higher quantities can be obtained with other nonferrous metals, such as Brass, Lead and Zinc.
This patented technology allows for increased productivity and highly improved ingot quality.
The final product is easy to pack and store due to its shape. Smaller space requirement between stacked ingots reduces transportation costs considerably.
The picture on the right shows the difference between bundles of the old type of ingots (right hand side) and new Properzi produced ingot bundles of the same weight (left).
The main advantages of this unique technology - compared with the open top moulds technology - are briefly:
• Stable and repeatable ingot dimensions
• No traces of oxide foam or heavy surface oxide
• Compact metallurgical structure with very fine grains
• Smooth and flat external surface, designed to avoid any possibility of collecting water and/or moisture with consequent risk of explosion inside the furnace
• Dross problem is practically not anymore existing
• Ingots are suitable for automatic stacking operations